suppress-script values for fil, mi, pes, prs, qu members

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 06:20:33 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Peter Constable
<petercon at microsoft.com> wrote:
> From: Philip Newton [mailto:philip.newton at gmail.com]
>
>> (And I don't think s-s is *intended* to provide information on the default
>> script
>> for a language, though it does happen to do so for languages that do
>> contain this field.)
>
> Ummm... If it's not giving a default script, then what is it giving?

A way for implementations to recognise that "en-Latn" and "en" are to
be considered the same, where the "-Latn" will be ignored when
matching because "en" has a s-s of "Latn" - for cases where a language
may sometimes (redundantly?) be tagged with an explicit script and
sometimes not.

Or so I thought I understood, but I'm veering onto shaky ground for my
knowledge so I think I'll stop here before claiming much more.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>