suppress-script values for fil, mi, pes, prs, qu members

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 20:58:42 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Without s-s for a case like qub, then implementations may end up having to
> coming up with their own data to know that qub uses Latin script. That info
> may be essential, e.g., to know what keyboard layouts and fonts are relevant
> for a user, and it helps in binding to locale data (it eliminates ambiguity
> as to what an appropriate locale ID will be).

Isn't that the sort of thing CLDR addresses?

Sure, it might be useful to know what keyboard layouts and fonts are
relevant, but it would also be useful to know what calendar is used
(Gregorian, Hijri, ...), what the first day of the week is, and when
daylight saving time starts. Or, for more writing-related things, what
shape quotation marks to use (66...99, <<...>>, >>...<<, etc.) or how
much space to use around punctuation marks such as colons.

I don't see the language subtag registry providing that information
any time soon. (And I don't think s-s is *intended* to provide
information on the default script for a language, though it does
happen to do so for languages that do contain this field.)

> It seems to me that adding s-s fields in clear cases provides a common way
> of providing that data. But I'm wanting to see if others here agree before
> proposing any updates.

Personally, I don't think that this one piece of data should be added
to the registry when there are so many pieces of data that are
potentially useful.

Cheers,
Philip
--