suppress-script values for fil, mi, pes, prs, qu members

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 19 19:16:13 CEST 2010

Without s-s for a case like qub, then implementations may end up having to coming up with their own data to know that qub uses Latin script. That info may be essential, e.g., to know what keyboard layouts and fonts are relevant for a user, and it helps in binding to locale data (it eliminates ambiguity as to what an appropriate locale ID will be). And if implementations want to provide an API that does general validation of language tags, then this info can be useful in giving useful guidance to developers as to good practice that will avoid issues later.

It seems to me that adding s-s fields in clear cases provides a common way of providing that data. But I'm wanting to see if others here agree before proposing any updates.

Peter