Subtag request for Biscayan.

Bittor Laskurain bittor at eleka.net
Wed Mar 31 09:30:53 CEST 2010

Regarding the note from Doug Ewell, I find no problems to have
"biscayan" instead of bizkaiera and I apologize for not having checked
the length of the tag myself.

As Michael Everson says there are other dialects of Basque. However
our current concern is limited to Biscayan because even though we have
found some demand for tagging text and documents as Biscayan, we have
found none for the other dialects. Nevertheless we wouldn't rule out
requesting tags for other dialects in the future. I hope this is not
problematic.

Here you have the updated request:

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
1. Name of requester: Victor Laskurain
2. E-mail address of requester: bittor @ eleka.net
3. Record Requested:

   Type: variant
   Subtag: biscayan
   Prefix: eu

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

The subtag is intendet to represent the biscayan dialect of the Basque
language, spoken mainly in Biscay, as described by the publications of
Labayru Ikastegia.

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or
   article):

   - Adolfo Arejita, Nagore Etxebarria, Asier Astigarraga, Akaitze
     Kamiruaga - Labayru Hiztegia (Bizkaiera eta Batua (b)uztarturik)
     - 2003 - ISBN: 84-89816-49-2

   - Adolfo Arejita, Ana Oar-Arteta, Hiart Legarra - Bizkai euskeraren
     jarraibide liburua. Bigarren pausuak - 2005 - ISBN: 84-89816-26-3

   - Adolfo Arejita, Ana Oar-Arteta, Hiart Legarra - Bizkai euskeraren
     jarraibide liburua. Lehenengo pausuak - 2002 - ISBN:
     84-89816-50-6

   - Ana Oar-Arteta, Hiart Legarra - Euskal deklinabidea bizkaieraz -
     2006 - ISBN: 84-89816-11-5