Correction for pinyin

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Tue Mar 9 23:38:13 CET 2010

I had a slightly different comment in mind (much picked from Wikipedian
and Ethnologue):

Comment: The Pinyin language is a Niger-Congo language spoken in the
  north-west province of Cameroon. Alternate names: Bapinyi, Pelimpo.

(Mentioning the alternate names for this language, but leaving the
unrelated romanisation system to just the registration form.) But
I'm not insisting on any change.

But speaking of the 'pinyin' variant subtag: only 'zh' (and 'bo') are
mentioned as prefixes, but none of the language subtags that is covered by
the macrolanguage subtag 'zh' are so mentioned. I think they should be;
at least 'cmn'.

    /kent k

Den 2010-03-09 18.17, skrev "Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>:

> Below are a proposed record and registration form, submitted
> somewhat
defensively, to use the Comments field instead of the Description
> for
annotating the existing entry for the Pinyin language.

---

LANGUAGE
> SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2010-03-24
%%
Type: language
Subtag:
> pny
Added: 2009-07-29
Comments: a Niger-Congo language
> spoken in Cameroon; not to be confused
  with the Pinyin romanization systems
> used for Chinese and Tibetan
%%

---

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1.
> Name of requester: Doug Ewell
2. E-mail address of requester: doug at
> ewellic.org
3. Record Requested:

   Type: language
   Subtag: pny

   Comments: a Niger-Congo language spoken in Cameroon;
> not to be
     confused with the Pinyin romanization systems used for Chinese
> and
     Tibetan

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

5. Reference to
> published description
   of the language (book or article):

   Ethnologue
> description at
   http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=pny

6. Any
> other relevant information:

   The Pinyin language, spoken by ~24,600 people
> in Cameroon, is not
   related to the Hanyu Pinyin romanization system used
> for writing
   Chinese, or the Tibetan Pinyin romanization system used for
> writing
   Tibetan, in the Latin alphabet.  These systems are represented by

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @
> http://is.gd/2kf0s
> ­

Ietf-languages mailing