Montenegrin

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Jun 10 17:02:01 CEST 2010

Peter Constable scripsit:

> Since Montenegro decided to refer to their official language using
> a distinct name from that used by their neighbors, the question has
> come up on a few occasions as to whether "Montenegrin" should be coded
> in ISO 639 distinct from Serbian. This raises various questions in my
> mind regarding implications of such a change, and I'm curious to know
> if people on this list have comments.

If the JAC definitively decides not to create a new code, then at least
it should change ISO 639-2 to provide "Montenegrin" as an alternative
English name (with the corresponding French equivalent) to ISO 639-2.
Failing that, this list should add a new Description field to 'sr'.

--
Normally I can handle panic attacks on my own;   John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
but panic is, at the moment, a way of life.      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan