Missing subtags 003 and 172

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 09:33:20 CEST 2010

On 07/31/2010 04:02 AM, CE Whitehead wrote:
> I am not sure about the utility of either of the region tags but am leaning toward considering 172 more useful; however historically the 003 might have been useful in identifiying varieties of Spanish and French.
> Regarding the Commonwealth of Independent States,

The "Russian in CIS" doesn't presuppose dialects
or varieties, but is, by idea, "just" Russian in
its literary norm, it being the lingua franca
etc. Realistically, as there is no inter-state
standard body on language, there arise
varieties, primarily in lexicon, like the recent
"Fursenko's changes" in Russia, or the
"Belarus/Belorussia" debate. However, it seems
that codified variations in orthography and
grammar do not yet exist.

> according to:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Independent_States#Russian_language

Mind you, the Wikipedia is quite a poor
(poorest, even?) choice of reference material in
such matters, especially w/r to the CIS.

-Yury