Language Variant subtags for Sanskrit

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Jul 21 23:54:12 CEST 2010

Michael has indicated that he would approve the variant subtags recently
renamed 'vaidika', 'laukika', 'bauddha', and 'itihasa', although as a
matter of BCP 47 protocol this can only happen at the end of the latest
two-week extension, that is, on or after July 28.

As I wrote on July 6, the Description field proposed by Peter Scharf for
what we have been calling Vedic Sanskrit:

  prose composed until about the 4th century B.C.E.

is inappropriately long and encyclopedic for a Description, and I
propose moving it to a Comments field and changing the Description to
match the "intended meaning" in his registration form, thus:

Type: variant
Subtag: vaidika
Prefix: sa
Comments: The most ancient dialect of Sanskrit used in verse and prose
  composed until about the 4th century B.C.E.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­