Language Variant subtags for Sanskrit

Peter Scharf peter_scharf at brown.edu
Mon Jul 19 20:06:14 CEST 2010

On the grounds that a language is something that occurs in various
dialects that are mutually understandable to each other, I think that
there should continue to be just a single language tag for Sanskrit.
Panini, Wackernagel, and Whitney all described the language in single
treatises and referred to different dialects (including Vedic) within
their treatises.  While some modern linguists would not mind referring
to Vedic as a different language from Classical Sanskrit, in
traditional circles in India this would not go over well at all.  A
nice vague term like 'classical' is just what is needed for the
standard Sanskrit, even better than the term, 'standard', since it is
what has been used for the past couple of hundred years.
Yours,
Peter

Peter M. Scharf                           (401) 863-2720 office
Department of Classics             (401) 863-2123 dept.
Brown University
PO Box 1856                               (401) 863-7484 fax
Providence, RI 02912                Scharf at brown.edu
http://www.research.brown.edu/research/profile.php?id=10044
http://sanskritlibrary.org/