Language Variant subtags

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 19:34:02 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
>> xml:lang="sa-Deva-buddh" = Sanskrit in Devanagari script, in the Buddhist dialect.
>
> This is the Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit dialect, surely, not the Buddhist dialect.
>
> I'd also like to know what, say, the German and French terms are for these dialects. OK, Vedisch/vedique we can take as read. I see the Wikipedias have Portuguese "Sânscrito híbrido budista" and Russian "Буддийский гибридный санскрит", so either buddh or budhyb might do.

In German, I find all of "Buddhistisches Sanskrit" (e.g.
http://www.istb.univie.ac.at/ger/studier/studplan/studplantb.html#2stud
(2) d.), "Buddhistisches Hybrides Sanskrit" (e.g.
<http://books.google.com/books?id=rj8GqtGWwcEC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=buddhistisches+sanskrit&source=bl&ots=ZeFc2jy3o6&sig=W1CV8sBoD7pvTbKyGB1uYghmv5s&hl=en&ei=POhBTN7hI6WhOMelrJQN&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CC4Q6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=buddhistisches%20sanskrit&f=false>)
and "buddhistisches oder hybrides Sanskrit" (last entry on
<http://www.dharma.de/dbu/frameset.php?content=http://www.dharma.de/dbu/forum/index.php~action=view%A7scheme=1%A7thread_id=6716%A7forum_id=2%A7limit=391%A7PHPSESSID=c674b395084a072f5e4721a1db5dc110>).

I'm not sure which, if any, term is established in the relevant field
of study, though.

Cheers,
Philip
--