Language Variant subtags for Sanskrit

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Jul 16 12:23:34 CEST 2010

On 2010/07/16 16:24, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2010, at 04:45, Peter Constable wrote:
>
>> In all such cases, I would start by asking whether these qualify for coding as individual, historic languages in ISO 639-3 before suggesting that they be coded using a variant subtag for "classical" varieties.
>

> In this case, then, I should reject all four of these requests (without prejudice) and encourage Peter Scharf to make an application to ISO 639 for their consideration first. Only if they fail to be accepted would subtags need to be assigned.

I think what Peter meant was not that you ask everybody, for every
variant, to first go to ISO 639-3, but that for the list given, and for
other variants that contain the adjective "classical", you ask the
submitter whether such a variant might not actually be better seen as a
language in its own right (and therefore be sumbitted to ISO 639-3).

Regards,    Martin.