Language Variant subtags for Sanskrit

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 07:51:21 CEST 2010

On 07/15/2010 01:46 AM, CE Whitehead wrote:
> Hi.  I have made some quick comments on some of the varieties that might
> be covered with a generic subtag 'classic' which I do tend to oppose.
> (Sorry to any who favor the generic subtag 'classic'.)
> That's my two cents on this. (I did this quickly, no research; sorry.
> Thus I did not look up every single one of these to see what the current
> language subtags were or what was considered to be 'classical'; but I
> did at least briefly check any I thought I knew something about and
> commented on and I think I've made my point.)

The academic definition of "classic" concept
comprises:
- liability of the concept to change with time;
- its interpretational nature.

So to each "classic" moniker, w/r to the
literary norm, there'll be an (book) author name
or an evaluator name or both. Starting with
Cicero, I believe.

Meaning there possibly are "classics" of safely
generic nature (my guess is -- in cases of dead
languages), but not much.