Language Variant subtags for Sanskrit

Peter Scharf peter_scharf at brown.edu
Tue Jul 13 20:43:30 CEST 2010

Dear all,
Standards use two letter tags for languages, e.g. "sa" for Sanskrit,
and four letter tags for Scripts, e.g. "Latn", "Deva".  So five for
variants seems plenty long already to me.  Remember that these tags
will be used in numerous the xml:lang attributes of TEI elements and
length gets cumbersome.  I don't see any reason for spelling
"buddhist" and "classical" out.  "buddh" and "class" are plenty obvious.

Yours,
Peter

Peter M. Scharf                           (401) 863-2720 office
Department of Classics             (401) 863-2123 dept.
Brown University
PO Box 1856                               (401) 863-7484 fax
Providence, RI 02912                Scharf at brown.edu
http://www.research.brown.edu/research/profile.php?id=10044
http://sanskritlibrary.org/