Language Variant subtags for Sanskrit

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Tue Jul 13 19:52:40 CEST 2010

> > Most of the requests seem straightforward. Are we only talking
> about the subtag for "classical"? Using a native term to obfuscate
> "classical" would possibly be a good solution for that one subtag.
> There is no reason why a native term is required for the others.
>
> I have asked Peter to supply the Sanskrit terms for all four. I'm
> not minded to make a decision until that is provided.

You will need to make a decision shortly because BCP 47 requires a response at the end of the two week review period. You might extend the review period by two weeks, lacking consensus to register the subtags "as is". But there is no requirement that Peter provide what you have asked for and I, for one, don't agree that it would make sense to use native terms for the other subtags. I'm only a slightly leery of a generic-sounding subtag for Classical Sanskrit, but not of the registration in general. I rather think that native terms transliterated into Latin script are going to be more obscure than is needed.

Addison