Language Variant subtags

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 9 19:12:48 CEST 2010

Not so simple: "classical" may potentially be used in a language name to identify a historic predecessor of a modern language. E.g., "Classical Newari" (nwc); "Classical Syriac" (syc). Using "classical" as a generic variant will cause confusion as to whether a variety should be treated as a variant or as a distinct language.

Peter