Language Variant subtags

Peter Scharf peter_scharf at brown.edu
Mon Jul 5 18:42:27 CEST 2010

Dear Philip,
	Thank you for your comments on my initial proposal of four variant
subtags for the Sanskrit language.  I have revised the registration
form as follows:

1.	Made the subtags five characters in length.
2.	Moved the Macrolanguage field value to the Prefix field
3.	Moved the Comments field value to the Description field

In India Sanskrit is written in any of the regional scripts of India
as well as in Roman script (Latn) elsewhere in the world, so the
script tag is not dispensable.

	Does the registration look adequate now?
	Thanks.
	Peter

I would like to submit the following four language subtag registration
forms to register standard tags for recognized dialects of Sanskrit.
I assume these would be used in an xml:lang attribute as follows:
xml:lang="sa-Deva-vedic" = Sanskrit in Devanagari script, in the Vedic
dialect.
xml:lang="sa-Deva-class" = Sanskrit in Devanagari script, in the
Classical dialect.
xml:lang="sa-Deva-epics" = Sanskrit in Devanagari script, in the Epic
dialect.
xml:lang="sa-Deva-buddh" = Sanskrit in Devanagari script, in the
Buddhist dialect.
Please let me know if the following forms are not correctly filled
in.  Thank you.
Sincerely,
Peter Scharf

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
    1. Name of requester: Peter M. Scharf
    2. E-mail address of requester: scharf at brown.edu
    3. Record Requested:

       Type:variant
       Subtag:vedic
and prose composed until about the 4th century B.C.E.
       Prefix:sa
       Preferred-Value:
       Deprecated:
       Suppress-Script:
       Macrolanguage:
       Comments:

    4. Intended meaning of the subtag:Vedic Sanskrit
    5. Reference to published description
       of the language (book or article):Macdonell, Arthur A. A Vedic
Grammar for Students. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1916.
    6. Any other relevant information:

    2. E-mail address of requester: scharf at brown.edu
    3. Record Requested:

       Type:variant
       Subtag:class
       Prefix:sa
       Preferred-Value:
       Deprecated:
       Suppress-Script:
       Macrolanguage:
       Comments:

    4. Intended meaning of the subtag:Classical Sanskrit
    5. Reference to published description
       of the language (book or article):Whitney, William Dwight.
Sanskrit Grammar. Second edition. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University
Press, 1989.

    2. E-mail address of requester: scharf at brown.edu
    3. Record Requested:

       Type:variant
       Subtag:buddh
       Prefix:sa
       Preferred-Value:
       Deprecated:
       Suppress-Script:
       Macrolanguage:
       Comments:

    4. Intended meaning of the subtag:Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit
    5. Reference to published description
       of the language (book or article):Edgerton, Franklin. Buddhist
Hybrid Sanskrit grammar and dictionary. New Haven, Yale University
Press, 1953.

    2. E-mail address of requester: scharf at brown.edu
    3. Record Requested:

       Type:variant
       Subtag:epics
       Prefix:sa
       Preferred-Value:
       Deprecated:
       Suppress-Script:
       Macrolanguage:sa
       Comments:

    4. Intended meaning of the subtag:Epic Sanskrit
    5. Reference to published description
       of the language (book or article):Oberlies, Thomas. A Grammar
of Epic Sanskrit. Indian philology and South Asian studies 5. Berlin;
New York: Walter de Gruyter, 2003
    6. Any other relevant information:

Peter M. Scharf                           (401) 863-2720 office
Department of Classics             (401) 863-2123 dept.
Brown University
PO Box 1856                               (401) 863-7484 fax
Providence, RI 02912                Scharf at brown.edu
http://www.research.brown.edu/research/profile.php?id=10044
http://sanskritlibrary.org/