Latvian extlang subtags

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Jan 24 00:26:24 CET 2010

Kent Karlsson scripsit:
> Den 2010-01-23 19.38, skrev "Doug Ewell" <doug @ ewellic . org>:
>
> > Whereas I see the compromise as having been a reflection of continuing
> > reality and not a petty, one-off political battle.

[snip]

> If that was the case, *all* macrolangauges would have *each* of their
> encompassed languages as extlangs. And that is not the case. Only a
> small subset was selected. And that was for purposes of the compromise
> only; not something to be continued to be reanalysed.

But not arbitrarily selected, rather selected on the criteria that (a)
the macrolanguage subtag had been widely used in IT and (b) there was
a single dominant variety.  Latvian qualifies on both counts.

--
I now introduce Professor Smullyan,             John Cowan
who will prove to you that either               cowan at ccil.org
he doesn't exist or you don't exist,            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
but you won't know which.                               --Melvin Fitting