Changing definition of German (was: Re: ISO 639-3 releases list of 2009 changes)

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 23 22:11:17 CET 2010

Hi -

I think it depends on whether all those other Germans (gsw, etc.) actually
"tile the plane" for all the dialects.  Also, there are a lot of cases where it
may be difficult to decide just where to put a dialect.  (Erzgebirgisch,
anyone?)    For example, it's not unusual to encounter multiple
dialects in a single city - the regional dialect(s), Hochdeutsch, and a
"Stadtsprache".  Particularly in the case of the latter, folks will argue
about whether it's a variant of the regional dialect, of Hochdeutsch,
or something else.  Since the data may present a continuum,
the analysis gets messy.  The situation in many ways fits the old
"Wellentheorie" of language development better than the
"Stammbaumtheorie".

Randy