Changing definition of German (was: Re: ISO 639-3 releases list of 2009 changes)

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 23 20:24:32 CET 2010

Hi -

While I don't like the "macro" status changing, I come to the opposite conclusion
regarding "standard".  I view "standard" German as a specific variety of German,
just as Standard French is a specific (officially codified!) version of a
larger thing called French.  As such, I'd prefer to use a variant subtag
to indicate the specific variety, when there is a need to make the distinction.

> But I agree that this discussion is pointless, and I'll say no more on it.

Yeah, we've all said all this before, in one form or another.

Randy