Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Jan 7 05:41:19 CET 2010

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> Really, really starting to become uncomfortable about characterizing
> this as a mere "orthography" in the registration.

Well, nothing is *just* an orthography.  en-US is mostly an orthography,
but (as I've said before) yoou don't really understand the variety until
you know exactly what "Johnny went to the bathroom in his pants" means.

John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan at ccil.org
In might the Feanorians / that swore the unforgotten oath
brought war into Arvernien / with burning and with broken troth.
and Elwing from her fastness dim / then cast her in the waters wide,
but like a mew was swiftly borne, / uplifted o'er the roaring tide.
        --the Earendillinwe