Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Sat Jan 2 12:54:20 CET 2010

The case for locale data is a bit different from that of language tagging.
If a request for locale data (and by extension, "translation"/localisation
of a computer application) is via a macrolanguage code, what is reasonable
to do? Should one randomly (at program start, or even for each data item)
pick from the entire range of languages covered by the macrolanguage code?
While that may give an amusing mixture, it does not seem to be a reasonable
way of dealing with this case; it would also need extra machinery for the
randomisation. Instead one manually preselects one of the encompassed
individual languages. So for "no" it is reasonable to preselect "nb" data,
since "nb" (at present) is more often used than "nn".

    /kent k