Re: Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Jan 2 02:38:41 CET 2010

Leif Halvard Silli <xn dash dash mlform dash iua at xn dash dash mlform
dash iua dot no> wrote:

> It takes activism to argue that people should stop using 'no', as well

Well, I didn't make that argument.  I did say:

> I found it interesting, though, that my question revealed that some
> people believe Norwegian data should be only tagged as 'nb' or 'nn',
> never as 'no', despite the huge amount of existing 'no' data.

Not all tagging of content, and not all searching for content, is done
with the maximum possible precision.  That is the nature of languages,
and of humans with differing degrees of knowledge.  Some people,
including Michael and every Norwegian on this list, can readily tell
Bokmål from Nynorsk, while others like me can only just tell Norwegian
from Danish.  BCP 47 allows maximum precision when that is appropriate
(and possible), and lesser but still useful degrees of precision when
that is appropriate (or necessary).

I simply asked whether 'nn' was the only Prefix that was desired for
this variant, implying of course that 'no' would have been a
possibility.  It seems to me that in fact 'nn' should be the only
Prefix, since as someone (I've already lost track who) pointed out, if
you know it's Høgnorsk then you already know it's Nynorsk.  I'm with
Michael and Randy in supporting this approach, as Thorgeir originally
had it.

The amount of political grandstanding on both sides is becoming a bit
alarming.  Let's just register the subtags necessary to distinguish
relevant language varieties, and leave all the other junk out of it.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­