Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Jan 2 01:30:56 CET 2010

Thorgeir Holm scripsit:

> This is not to my point. I perfectly agree that 'nn-hognorsk' would be
> the natural tagging if the other recommendations from this forum were
> followed in practice. However, they are not. It is the practical use of
> 'no' today, as we see it, that makes it desireable to have 'no-hognorsk'
> as a valid tag as long as 'no' is possible for 'nn' and 'nb'.

If we are to descend to raw facts about tagging, the overwhelming majority
of all documents tagged 'no' on the Web today are in Bokmål.  Of course,
that is not all tagged documents by any means.

> My concern is that 'no-hognorsk' should be possible as long as 'no' is
> possible for 'nn' or 'nb'. That makes perfectly sense to me, but I
> didn't see anyone else discussing this particular concern.

It will indeed be possible, no matter what decisions are made about the
Prefix field.

--
John Cowan      cowan at ccil.org         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Statistics don't help a great deal in making important decisions.