Indonesian and extlang...

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Jan 1 05:43:36 CET 2010

I wrote:

>> Almost.  Minangkabau is part of 639-2, and was added in 2005, but it
>> has an extlang tag.
>
> Hmm.  That would be a mistake on my part in putting together 5645.
> I'll have to figure out what went wrong.  Possibly I skipped over it
> because of the infamous "zh-min" problem.

Nope, it wasn't that.  Although my program that merged ISO 639-3 code
elements into the Registry did skip over the two-letter subtags, like
'id', it missed the rule about not creating extlangs out of existing
language subtags.

This error was exposed beginning in draft-4645bis-09, after ISO 639-3
added 21 more languages (including Indonesian and Minangkabau) to the
three already encompassed under the macrolanguage 'msa'.

It's a bug.  Sorry, folks.  We'll see if IESG takes this into account
when reviewing my status in May.  (Michael and I know there are people
who would like to see different reviewers.)

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­