ISO 639-3 changes: Latvian and Bontok

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Feb 20 22:36:01 CET 2010

CE Whitehead wrote:

> (I missed the fact that this is not an ISO 639-3 code; sorry.
> I don't have access to ISO 639-4, and am not sure what needs to be
> added regarding ISO 639-4?
> Peter mentioned ISO 639-4 in his email although the rest applied to
> ISO 639-1)

It was a typo for 639-3.

>> "This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>> 2010-01-20, adding the code element 'lvs' for Standard Latvian,
>> encompassed by the macrolanguage code element 'lav' (Latvian, which
>> is 'lv' in the Language Subtag Registry).  Both a primary language
>> subtag and an extended language subtag were added for this code
>> element."
> What about
> =>
> "This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
> 2010-01-20, adding the code element 'lvs' for Standard Latvian,
> encompassed by the ISO 639-3 macrolanguage code element 'lav'
> (Latvian, which is which is represented by ISO 639-1 'lv' in the
> Language Subtag Registry).  Both a primary language subtag and an
> extended language subtag were added for this code element."
>
> Also ditto for [ltg] of course.

ISO 639-3/RA doesn't make changes to the IANA Language Subtag Registry,
so it would not have occurred to me to specify that they were making a
change involving an ISO 639-3 macrolanguage.  The Registry doesn't have
"code elements" anyway, it has "subtags."

I did propose wording to indicate that 'lv' comes from 639-1.

>> I can change the 'bnc' registration form to read "Central Bontok
>> proper" but it's understandable that this becomes a very gray area
>> when over 100 changes are being made in one activity.
> I think it should say this for [lbk]:
> =>
> "   This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>    2010-01-20, adding the code element 'lbk' for Central Bontok
> proper,
>    encompassed by macrolanguage 'bnc' (Bontok)."

That's what I said.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­