Machine Translation

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Fri Sep 11 21:01:12 CEST 2009

Peter and others were asking for a scenario (other than corpus
building) where a "machine-translated" tag might be useful.
I don't know whether the following scenario is realistic.

I can read French and German fairly well, but I would be really
struggling with Italian or Spanish.  So I set my browser
preferences to:

   Scottish Gaelic
   Irish
   English
   French
   German
   English-MachTran
   Italian
   Spanish

Then when I am browsing an EC or UN website which has an in-house
machine translation system and chance on a page which is only
available in Italian, or only in Polish, it would automatically
serve up a version machine-translated into English, whereas if I
chanced on a French-only page it would serve it up untranslated.

Caoimhín