Machine Translation

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 11 03:24:24 CEST 2009

You're confusing the roles of Reviewer and individual contributor to this list. As an individual contributor, you may have opinions and arguments as to potentially valuable usage scenarios for the proposed tag -- or the lack thereof -- but as individual contributor you should not be making unilateral decisions as to what the outcome will be. In your role as Reviewer, you should be entertaining several points of view, allowing proponents for different options to make their case, and waiting to see what consensus emerges before evaluating the consensus of the list. The decisions should be the consensus of the list, not yours alone.

I'm sorry if I have really angered you; I am really angered when you act in the role of Reviewer inappropriately. I am not at this point supporting Debbie's proposal, but I strongly object to things that might appear to stifle discussion. IMO, your statement at an early stage of discussion before Debbie or anyone else interested has really made their case was inappropriate. Voice your opinion on technical merits like everyone else, but you should wait until there's been reasonable discussion before expressing your inclination as Reviewer on the outcome.

Peter