Machine Translation

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 17:46:52 CEST 2009

I told Kevin Scannell about the debate on a creating a tag for
machine-translated text and here are the comments he sent back to me
(translated by human from Irish Gaelic), in case they are of interest:

  "Welsh was the first language (other than Irish) for which I
   did a big crawl - working in conjunction with Andrew Hawke,
   director of Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru [the Welsh national
   dictionary] in 2005.  Even at that time, we saw lots of spam
   which looked like it came from translation engines.
   For one example see: http://andax.sourceforge.net/index.cy.html
   They were so bad that I was able to write a small script to
   filter the spam out of the corpus.  Perhaps it would
   be more difficult nowadays!

   It is an interesting idea, creating a special 639 code for
   text which has been machine translated, but I must admit that
   I don't put my trust in any scheme which depends on people adding
   metadata to documents. [...]"

I suppose the difference in this case is that the tag would be
added, not by humans but automatically by the machine translation
system.

Caoimhín