Japanese transliteration: ja-Latn-hepburn

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Sep 9 14:18:17 CEST 2009

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> I still think that [pinyin] and [wadegile] can serve as precedents for
> how we treat [hepburn] !  But I'm not sure I see a consensus on this
> point.

For Chinese, we differentiated (Hanyu) Pinyin from Wade-Giles with two
separate variants.  For Japanese, we are talking about differentiating
Hepburn from Kunrei-shiki from Nihon-shiki with three separate variants.
I don't think there is much debate over that.

The question is whether the variant 'hepburn' for our purposes means
only Revised Hepburn, in which case we would need a fourth and fifth
variant under "ja-Latn" to denote Traditional and Modified Hepburn
respectively, or whether 'hepburn' means any variety of Hepburn, in
which case we would need three new variants under "ja-Latn-hepburn" to
distinguish between the three varieties.  This is the approach I prefer,
because it would still be possible to say "any old Hepburn," which I
think will be a common use case since the varieties are so similar.  But
this is where I think there may still be differences of opinion.

This is not an issue we dealt with when discussing 'pinyin' and
'wadegile'.  "zh-Latn-pinyin" explicitly means Chinese in Hanyu Pinyin,
according to the registration form at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/pinyin, while
currently there is no way to tag Tongyong Pinyin.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s