Revised request: Japanese transliteration variants

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Sep 5 22:18:24 CEST 2009

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> replied to Randy:

>> I think we had ample demonstration in the difficulty this list
>> encountered in figuring out whether the registration request was for
>> a specific variety of Hepburn or for a "blanket" covering all of
>> them.
>
> Not that much difficulty.  The original request was specifically for
> one flavor, on its face.  Discussion clarified that representing all
> flavors with one tag was just as useful, and the appropriate change
> was made.

Thus my original question remains: in what way does the Description
field "Hepburn romanization" make it unclear whether the subtag refers
to a specific variety of Hepburn or for a blanket covering all of them;
and to the extent any confusion exists, how critical a tagging problem
does this cause?

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s