Revised request: Japanese transliteration variants

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 2 03:33:40 CEST 2009

In terms of inherent mnemonics, the subtag "strict" has a generic meaning. (There could be lots of other scenarios involving sub-variants that could be called "strict".) There have been debates here in the past over generic tags. If you look in the list of registration forms

http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/index.html

you'll see that we have managed to avoid generic subtags. (IIRC, "western" and "eastern" were proposed for Armenian variants, and alternatives were chosen instead.)

So, what about something like "nihonshi" or "nihon"? (Prefix would still be "ja-Latn-kunrei"

Peter