Language subtag modification form for 1694acad (Was: Flavors of Hepburn)

Edith Whitehead quaiouestenglish at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 21:28:52 CEST 2009

Hi!
(I'm replying from this account because the hotmail server is too busy!)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Oct 8 14:52:46 CEST 2009

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> If the language subtag registry gets too cumbersome and you need to
> index it and want help, let me know.

> I don't think the Registry is "cumbersome" in the sense that it is
> harder to work with than it should be.  It's a large file, but there are
> a lot of languages and scripts and countries in the world.

Right, but it would be nice to have an indexed version for slower computers.

>> It's entirely possible that the dates coincide, but that doesn't mean
>> the histories are related, which was my point.
>
> ???
>
> Basically "Early Modern" here means after the Middle Ages, and before
> the nineteenth (and maybe the eighteenth) century, whether we are
> talking about language, literature, national history.  That's my
> interpretation of the term.

> I think we agree in principle on this point, and I don't
> wish to belabor it further.
Yes, fine, no need to belabor anything.  The time frame should not be specified; the variant can be precised with the  date it was catalogued, not used; that's the best way; that's what's now in the comments field; if that is not enough, f at some time down the road that is it is not, then maybe I'll ask again to change the description field, or someone else can.

> I could not find the URL for it at your site.  Sorry, I tried to link
> to it but it was not there.

> As I said later, it's not publicly available due to some issues
> that have caused me to be dissatisfied with it.  I could send it to
> you off-list, but I don't want the issues to turn into a support burden;
> I'd rather get it right next time.
O.k. you can try to send it to me in private; my laptop is mini mini mini though so I can't guarantee I can download it and I don't know how long I'll be in shape too, to do anything (health issues), but take care.  (actually, gosh, I don't even open email on my laptop because it's all wireless, I work from one site, and offline, and then when I'm done, move what I need from that one site to where I need it)
It sounds need, good luck getting it right!  Hope you can share it with the list; I'd rather just link to it online!

> The IANA Language Subtag Registry is a data source.  To the extent it
> is incorporated into software, it is up to each developer or team
> to make the Registry and their code work together, including
> indexing the Registry data as needed.  Indexing of this sort is
> an application-dependent concept.
> I don't think I expressed that the job was somehow beyond me or too
> big for me.  I built both the initial RFC 4646 Registry and the
> initial RFC 5646 Registry (both before the incremental changes
> discussed on this
> list) and wrote several programs to help index and otherwise manage
> the  data during the Internet-Draft stages of these two documents.
Yes, you do a lot.

Best,

C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar at hotmail.com