Language subtag modification form for 1694acad (Was: Flavors of Hepburn)

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 8 02:34:29 CEST 2009

Hi!

If the language subtag registry gets too cumbersome and you need to index it and want help, let me know.

The description field for [1694acad] is o.k. for now; if it turns out that it is not being used properly, we can act then, I guess.

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Oct 7 05:41:23 CEST 2009

> CE Whitehead wrote:

>> I wouldn't think the concept of "early modern" French, the language,
>> necessarily has anything to do with the concept of "early modern"
>> France, the country.
>
>> Actually the dates for both Early Modern France and Early Modern
>> French literature seem to be roughly the same; I checked google--and
>> the literature that is associated with "Early Modern French" is
>> generally literature from the Renaissance and 17th century!

> It's entirely possible that the dates coincide, but that doesn't mean
> the histories are related, which was my point.
???

Basically "Early Modern" here means after the Middle Ages, and before the nineteenth (and maybe the eighteenth) century, whether we are talking about language, literature, national history.  That's my interpretation of the term.
>> It depends on the application.  Mine displays comments when you click
>> Validate.
>
>> Thanks for this information.  Your application?

>> Written by ???

> By me.

I could not find the URL for it at your site.  Sorry, I tried to link to it but it was not there.
> You type subtags or select descriptions from lists, and the
> program puts them together properly and declares the tag valid or not
> valid, and advises you of "valid but questionable" tags like "iw" and
> "en-Latn" and "fr-scouse".  Among other things, the validation display
> shows any Comments fields associated with each subtag.
Neat  Martin and Mark also have created validation utilities too . . .
> Right now it uses a DLL pre-built from the Registry as its repository.
> I'm not happy with that, and need to rework it to read the Registry
> directly.  It has other problems that have prevented me from
> distributing it.
Some day it might be nice to just get the registry indexed so that it can be accessed just a part at a time (2-char language codes, 3-char language codes, script codes, country codes, variant codes, grandfathered subtags . . .)
(But it would have to be an HTML or an XHTML and not simply a simple text index . . . )
If you want help with this . . .  at any time.

(Ah, but for now I did finally access the registry!  But it's slow.)

> Is description field automatically displayed for your application?
>
>> If so, then maybe the description field is a good place to put, "as
>> catalogued in the 1694 edition of the 'Dictionnaire de l'acad�mie
>> fran�oise'."
>>
>> But so long as this information is in the comments field . . .
>> I think we can leave things as they are for now.

> I suggest we leave things as they are until there is a bit more evidence
> that a problem exists.
Yes, for now that seems fine with me.

(NOTE:  I'll try in the future to make my parenthetical comments parenthetical and not append them to my message; you've mentioned this before but my advisor in school always got on me for all my parenthetical comments in my papers.

Or something.)

Best,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com