Proposed record for 'alalc97'

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Nov 29 19:43:40 CET 2009

"Phillips, Addison" <addison at amazon dot com> wrote:

>>> Add ISBN 0-8444-0940-5
>>
>> Sure:
>
> Does all of that information really have to be in the record's comment
> field? Couldn't it just reside in the registration request? I don't
> think the ISBN adds that much to the registry.

Well, let's work it out on the list and come to some agreement.

Michael had suggested the addition on Thursday, and nobody had responded
since then.  I just posted it here to do my administrative job; the
final record has to be posted to the list one week before submission to
IANA, and delaying much longer would have prolonged the review period.

I tend to agree that bibliographic details like ISBNs belong in the
registration record rather than the Registry, but not applying Michael's
suggestion would have been tantamount to rejecting it, which I don't
have unilateral authority to do.  Even on a U.S. holiday weekend, the
lack of any response at all from the list does tend to imply tacit
acceptance.

> Also, note that the ISBN is the old 10-digit format. ISBN recently
> (2007) switched to a 13-digit format (mostly starting with "978-").

Does that apply retroactively to a book published in 1997?

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­