Variant subtag proposal: ALA-LC romanization of Russian

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Nov 24 16:35:13 CET 2009

The mechanisms that we have developed allow us to have degrees of
specificity. After all, we call something "English" even if it uses
different spelling and even grammar. And this is more true of other cases:
in gsw the conjugation of present tense verbs and even personal pronouns
vary between Bern and Zürich. Yet for a great many purposes, perhaps the
majority, it is sufficient to say "en" or "gsw".

It would be most useful for people, I think, to utilize this mechanism in
transcriptions/transliterations as well. If we define alalc at the high
level, then people who want to tag text at that level can (eg ru-Latn-alalc)
Then we have have versioned variants as/if needed, eg if someone really
wants to mean the 1997 version *and no other*, then ru-Latn-alalc-alalc97
can be used.

Mark