Variant subtag proposal: ALA-LC romanization of Russian

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 21 20:07:57 CET 2009

Hi -

In case it wasn't already quite clear, defining it in terms of the
specific publication addressed my concern.

> > Since the proposed registration is quite specific, I'd prefer *not*
> > broadening
> > it to refer to a whole family of transcription / transliteration
> > schemes that
> > are largely unrelated other than being in use at the same institution.
>
> Given the extremely wide usage of the ALA-LC 1997 spec, I'd say that
> the alalc97 tag is much better than the request just for Russian.

Since the submitter has already indicated that alalc97 (or whatever it
ends up being) is better suited to his needs, and the subtag's semantics
are in terms of a specific edition of a specific publication, rather than
just "as used by LoC", I have no objection.

Randy