Reminder: ISO 639-3 changes are coming

ISO639-3 at sil.org ISO639-3 at sil.org
Mon Nov 16 18:30:18 CET 2009

Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic dot org> wrote:

>John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

>> Mere written examples don't, in and of themselves, constitute "a
>> literature", which is what 639-3/RA requires.  I would expect to see
>> short stories, poems, instruction manuals, or something of the sort,
>> not merely sample sentences.
>
>I couldn't even find sample sentences for Auriongx, just a pair of base
>URLs for Stefan/Urion's Web sites, with information about the language
>presumably tucked somewhere within.  I guess the RA was just supposed to
>take it on faith that the language exists, in whatever stage of
>readiness.

What an exciting weekend of discussion on 2009-070
(http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/chg_detail.asp?id=2009-070) for Auriongx I
missed.

Thanks all for the input. In this particular case, I communicated to the
requester that this request was very unlikely to successfully pass review,
because (in summary) it is not sufficiently established among a
self-sustaining user group. He asked that it undergo the review process
anyway. I had observed the "alter ego" issue, and the absence of "a
literature". Nonetheless, I was also bound to permit the request to
undergo the formal process, even while certainly not taking anything on
faith. I could not label it "frivolous" even if it is unduly hopeful.

As Doug observed in an earlier post:

>This is why it is so great that ISO 639-3/RA has an open, public review
>process, and why experts should be taking advantage of it and
>contributing their independent knowledge.  The time to notice and object
>to proposals like Auriongx is when they are under review, not after they
>have been encoded.

the review process is working, and your objections have been noted. I
expect that the list participants will be glad to move on to other topics.
Please do comment on other requests.

Thanks,

Joan

Joan Spanne