Reminder: ISO 639-3 changes are coming

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Nov 15 08:24:43 CET 2009

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> That's pretty much the essence of what I was trying to say.  Almost no
> constructed languages exist without written examples.

Mere written examples don't, in and of themselves, constitute "a
literature", which is what 639-3/RA requires.  I would expect to see short
stories, poems, instruction manuals, or something of the sort, not merely
sample sentences.  As things stand, only 19 constructed languages are
registered, all of which clearly have some of these things.  Here they
are, from http://sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp?order=lang_type&letter=c .

639-3 639-2     639-1   Language Name
afh     afh             Afrihili
zbl     zbl             Blissymbols
bzt                     Brithenig
dws                     Dutton World Speedwords
epo     epo     eo      Esperanto
ido     ido     io      Ido
igs                     Interglossa
ina     ina     ia      Interlingua (International Auxiliary Language Association)
ile     ile     ie      Interlingue
tlh     tlh             Klingon
avk                     Kotava
ldn                     Láadan
lfn                     Lingua Franca Nova
jbo     jbo             Lojban
nov                     Novial
qya                     Quenya
rmv                     Romanova