Reminder: ISO 639-3 changes are coming

ISO639-3 at sil.org ISO639-3 at sil.org
Fri Nov 13 16:13:27 CET 2009

Thank you, Doug, for preparing the way by sending this reminder. I am
using the occasion to invite participants in this list to comment on any
pending request, by sending your comment to iso639-3 at sil.org, so that they
may be included in the public records for the relevant change requests.
Please include the change request number in the subject line of the
message. All the requests are listed at
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/chg_requests.asp
I see no problem with also copying any comment to this list, if
appropriate, though I leave the guidance on that to the list moderators.
Certainly a few of the change requests have already been topics of
discussion on this list in the past.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
ISO639-3 at sil.org

"Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no

<ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
Reminder: ISO 639-3 changes are coming

This is just a reminder -- inspired by a false-alarm WatchThatPage
message I got today -- that ISO 639-3/RA will be reviewing the 2009
batch of change requests through December 15, and will issue a report,
probably in January, listing all the changes they have approved.

This will be the first time that the annual round of ISO 639-3 changes
will directly affect the IANA Language Subtag Registry.  In past years,
as part of the effort to keep draft-4645bis up to date, I kept track of
these changes myself.  Now, they will be a full part of the
ietf-languages change control process.  Each 639-3 change that affects
the Registry will require its own proposed record and registration form,
posted to this list for a two-week review period, and will have to be
submitted individually to IANA.  This is the process outlined in RFC
5646 and approved by the IETF and IESG.

Last year the RA approved 150 changes; the year before, 383.  This year,
there are 143 pending change requests to be considered.  That does not
mean the RA will necessarily approve them all, or that each approved
request will map 1-to-1 with a change in the Registry, but it would not
be unrealistic to assume 100 or more changes.

I just want to make sure that everyone is aware this workload is coming,
probably about two months from now, and that we don't treat it as some
sort of sudden, unexpected anomaly and propose ad-hoc rule changes to
work around it.  It is the way of our future, once a year.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­