Proposal to remove Preferred-Value field for region YU in LTRU

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Mar 3 11:49:50 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:14:04AM +0100,
 Lang Gérard <gerard.lang at insee.fr> wrote
 a message of 42 lines which said:

> the french experimental standard AFNOR XP Z 44-002 (Août 1997) "Code
> pour la representation des noms de pays historiques" (in english:
> Code for the representation of the name of historical coutries"
> does the work for the time period beginning from 1815 (Congress of
> Vienna) [and we are continuing to make the job by going back until
> year 1000].

It seems very interesting. Any estimated date for the release? Will it
be distributed publically? Is the draft version available?

For years around 1000, it will be very difficult to define what is a
country and what is not. People were not thinking in term of countries
at this time. When Gaston Phoebus refused to give homage to the king
of France in 1290, did it make his Béarn an independant country?