MultiTree availability (Was: Ietf-languages Digest, Vol 74, Issue 1

Anthony Aristar aristar at linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 1 21:40:45 CET 2009

As yet, there is no way to download the whole database,  This is
something we intend to do, but since the project is not complete, it is
still ahead of us.  The codes, I should point out, were never intended
for general consumption:  just for our local use.  But since no complete
set of codes for subgroups and dialects existed, we had to invent them.
You *can* download an individual tree in XML, however.

As for the software MultiTree uses:  this software is very common
indeed:  you just need to have ordinary old Java installed on your local
machine.  Java is essential, since we needed to push the processing
downstream, so to speak.  Processing trees is very memory-intensive, and
to do all of it on our server would soon bring it to its knees.

--
Anthony Aristar, Director, Institute for Language & Information Technology
Dept. of English                       aristar at linguistlist.org
Eastern Michigan University            2000 Huron River Dr, Suite 104
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
U.S.A.