Valencian Language Tag registration request

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Jun 18 18:17:50 CEST 2009

Michael Everson scripsit:

> > You are welcome to propose it if you want, but it seems to me like
> > an attempt to avoid a hypothetical problem involving appeasement of
> > nationalistic sentiments.
>
> I am unlikely to look very favourably upon a such proposal as it will
> fail the linguistic criteria.

How so?  Valencian is a variety of Catalan which is used in the Valencian
Region, we've accepted that.  There is another variety of Catalan,
call it Catalonian, which is used in the Catalonian Region.  The two
varieties differ in orthography (they are standardized by separate
organizations) and to some extent in morphosyntax and in vocabulary.
The distinction is analogous to that between en-us and en-gb, except
that the distinction does not fall on national boundaries.

Why should Valencian have its own variant subtag and not Catalonian?

--
He played King Lear as though           John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
someone had played the ace.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan