Anomaly in upcoming registry

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 9 06:33:10 CEST 2009

Hi -

Another data point....
When I was in college, "Serbo-Croatian" was taught as
a single language with multiple (Cyrillic and Latin)
orthographies, accompanied by general comments on
differences in accent and regional lexical preferences.

Despite the high level of mutual intelligibility, the differences
are more substantial than those between "mo" and "ro", where
folks are hard-pressed to come up with any differences at all,
and the ones usually given (differences in lexical preferences,
which appear to be diminishing with time) aren't very persuasive.

Still, I agreee with your main point that this seems like a good case
for "macrolanguage".

Randy