Anomaly in upcoming registry

Mark Davis ⌛ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Jul 9 06:17:09 CEST 2009

Mark

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 21:04, Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:

> Mark Davis ⌛ wrote:
>
>  There are two reasons for having a non-deprecated sh. First, the
>> equivalent hbs is in ISO 639-3, which we are taking as a basis for our
>> expansion in many ways. Having that one macrolanguage be deprecated is just
>> anomalous.
>>

> What's anomalous is for 'sh' to be deprecated in ISO 639-1 but for the
> equivalent 'hbs' not to be deprecated in 639-3.
>
> 'sh' was given the Deprecated status in the Registry on the basis of its
> status in 639-1.  For us to overturn this decision basically means that we
> consider 639-3 to be a higher authority than 639-1.  I don't see how we
> justify that.

For us to not do it, according to your logic, means that we consider 639-1
to be a higher standard than 639-3. We certainly don't think that; all of
the effort we have had over the last few years is *because* we know that
639-3 is far more complete, and well-thought-out, than 639-1 ever was. And
we heard quite clearly that the 639-3 committee considered deprecation and
decided explicitly against it.

So I have no problem whatsoever in favoring 639-3, since we have to make a
choice one way or another.