Proposal to remove Preferred-Value field for region YU in LTRU

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 11:30:19 CET 2009

Tex wrote:

>> If I had data that would be represented by YU/CS and after the preferred
value is removed it should instead be YU, that seems like a problem.
Especially since the relationship between CS and YU becomes lost.
Also, it may not be clear which CS records should be restored to YU.

>> I don't see that the fact that the target preferred value of YU is also
deprecated is a good reason to break the relationship at this point. We
still end up with deprecated codes with no preferred value to go to, so why
introduce an unnecessary change?

Thank God for that!  I said a couple of weeks ago that I was not happy to
lose the historical data but I couldn't come up with a valid reason why at
the time!

+1

Debbie

Can someone explain to me what the stability policy is for codes with
respect to preferred values?

Historically, it was a concern that codes might change.
If I use the registry to choose the preferred value for a region, and that
preferred value can change, then isn't it tantamount to the code changing?

If I had data that would be represented by YU/CS and after the preferred
value is removed it should instead be YU, that seems like a problem.
Especially since the relationship between CS and YU becomes lost.
Also, it may not be clear which CS records should be restored to YU.

I don't see that the fact that the target preferred value of YU is also
deprecated is a good reason to break the relationship at this point. We
still end up with deprecated codes with no preferred value to go to, so why
introduce an unnecessary change?

tex