Variant subtag proposal: Hgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 09:04:08 CET 2009

CE Whitehead wrote:
> (Regarding the analogy between the two orthographies for belarussian and
> the 'hognorsk' and (post 1938?) variety of [nn],
> it's apt I guess if all that is at stake in Norwegian is orthography
> (which to my understanding was what was at stake in Belarussian???)  But
> in any case, I think the issue is resolved as no second variant subtag
> is recommended for post-1938 [nn].)

Guys, if you insist on bringing Belarusian into
it, then at least do it on the correct premises.
You'll avoid unclever analogies so. The
Belarusian academic and taraskevic variants
refer to the divergent *literary* *norms*, which
both are derived from the newly constructed
literary norm based on a certain synthesis of
the two main dialectal groups, which was formed
in the beg. of the 20th cent. and *codified* in
the 1918-1920s. The taraskevic variant, which
calls back to the pre-1933 state of the thing,
*"restores"* certain orthographical, but also
grammatical, orthoepical and lexical conventions
-- all of which have Polish origin or are,
arguably, Polish-influenced. The academic
variant is based on the same synthetised folk
foundation but with the certain orthographical
etc. conventions changed in 1933, which makes it
superficially "more like Russian" (and
incidentally unlike Polish), but also, arguably,
more consistent with both the pre-20th cent.
Belarusian (Old Belarusian) literary tradition
and with the real folk usus (per works of
Padluzhny, Zhurawski and others). My long-shot
prediction is we'll see another language
emerging from the taraskevic norm, and its name
will not have -rusian in it.

Anyway be- tags denote a fork in a stem, not two
stems, as in case of Norwegian, as far as I
understand it. And the processing of the be-
tags was done differently, too. The -1959acad
was sort of nitpicked and -tarask is,
effectively, an umbrella tag (which, possibly,
is what's really needed, however).

-Yury