Indonesian and extlang...

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Dec 29 23:55:11 CET 2009

Kent Karlsson scripsit:

> Indeed we have that for all of the languages "covered by" 'ms', *except* for
> Indonesian. So I would have expected an entry like this:
>
> %%
> Type: extlang
> Subtag: ind
> Added: 2009-07-29
> Preferred-Value: id
> Prefix: ms
> Macrolanguage: ms
> %%
>
> But there is no such entry. Was this one excluded for some reason, or is
> this an
> omission by mistake? I don't seem to find any mention of this point in RFC
> 5645...

AFAIK this was never discussed, but I at least would be very much against
representing Indonesian as 'id' when it's a primary language tag and 'ind'
when it's an extlang tag.  Furthermore, adding 'id' as Preferred-Value
would by implication legitimize "ms-id" as a tag containing an
invalid extlang subtag, conflicting with "ms-ID" with a region subtag.
Fortunately, the latter means "Malay as used in Indonesia" and can be
reasonably identified with "Indonesian", as my and id represent mostly an
orthographic difference anyhow -- spoken mutual intelligibility is high.

So I'd say allowing ms-ind would just confuse the issue.  Let's keep
the status quo.

--
A mosquito cried out in his pain,               John Cowan
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        The cause of his sorrow                 cowan at ccil.org
        Was para-dichloro-
Diphenyltrichloroethane.                                (aka DDT)