Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Thorgeir Holm thorgeirholm at yahoo.no
Mon Dec 28 00:04:10 CET 2009

<hermer Kent Karlsson frå 27.12.2009 20:30>

>> The statement that Høgnorsk "is so unlike ordinary 'nn'" is an
>> interesting one.  Thorgeir's proposal presents Høgnorsk as simply
>> an orthographic variant, not a basic language difference, but the
>> (very brief)
>
> Yes (reading "dialect" for "basic language"), and maybe that point
> should be corrected in the proposal form.

The "basic language" differences between official 'nn' and 'hognorsk' is
usually smaller than an average set of language mistakes found in a
letter prepared by a governmental body, so I am not sure it is worth
mentioning. It would be hard to define. Same with choice of words; even
though Høgnorsk usually has a marked difference from ordinary 'nn' in
this respect, you can hardly point to one single of these words and say
that it won't work in ordinary 'nn'. The ultimate border crossing,
"don't write it if you don't mean it", is the orthography.

Thorgeir