Re: Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Dec 27 18:48:13 CET 2009

Thorgeir Holm <thorgeirholm at yahoo dot no> wrote:

>> I would just like to confirm that 'nn' is the only desired Prefix for
>> this subtag.
>
> I'm not quite sure about that one. Maybe someone would claim that
> 'hognorsk' is so unlike ordinary 'nn' that it would be better to use
> it with the macrolanguage subtag 'no' (although 'hognorsk' must no
> doubt belong to 'nn' and not 'nb' if these two split all variation of
> 'no' between themselves).

That's the problem: not all Norwegian is tagged as either 'nb' or 'nn'.
This is partly because of inertia, and partly because it really is
useful sometimes to tag content as "Norwegian," the macrolanguage,
rather than specifically Bokmål or specifically Nynorsk.  This is the
nature of macrolanguages.

The statement that Høgnorsk "is so unlike ordinary 'nn'" is an
interesting one.  Thorgeir's proposal presents Høgnorsk as simply an
orthographic variant, not a basic language difference, but the (very
brief) English-language Wikipedia article refers to it as a dialectical
variety of Nynorsk.  When vocabulary and grammar are involved, the
variation is no longer just one of orthography.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­