Deprecation of heploc subtag (refiling with corrected spelling)

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 19 22:04:35 CET 2009

Hi -

I hope no one understands this as meaning that a tag
of ja-Latn-hepburn-heploc should be replaced by one
of ja-Latn-hepburn-alalc97.  Presumably the intent was
ja-Latn-alalc97, but I don't see how one would figure
that out from the registry contents alone.

I think the lesson from this is that Preferred-Value doesn't
quite work in some cases, e.g., when the new preferred-value
is "generic" (lacks a prefix) and the variant to which is
is added has a prefix with multiple subtags.

Randy